Nothing really important today, just some rambling thoughts.
1) I’m very thankful that in the winter of 2007 I took an adult education class on knitting in the round. I had learned to knit years ago. I think my oldest sister taught me basic knitting (two straight needles – English style) when I was about 9 or 10 (I learned to crochet even younger, maybe 5 or 6!). Somewhere along the way I had lost the skill. The course was a refresher, but it also taught me to knit in the round which makes certain projects, like hats, super easy. The course also taught me Continental style knitting, which I love (follow this link to see the two different types of knitting). So much easier and faster. I’m currently finishing up a pair of mittens for a Christmas gift. All this time that I’ve been knitting and they’re actually the first mittens I’ve ever made – I’m on second day of work and they should be done tomorrow night. I hope the recipient likes them.
2) My husband is wonderful, he truly is, but he is absolutely terrible when it comes to gift giving. Especially for Christmas. Three years ago, the year Charlie was born, I told him exactly what I wanted. A Dooney and Bourke Mickey Mouse Balloon wristlet. I even gave him the code to order on December 17th from the Disney Store with free express shipping. It’s a good thing I didn’t get out of the hospital until the 26th, because he didn’t order the wristlet on time, it was delivered on the morning of the 26th (BTW, I use it all the time. It’s an awesome wristlet and people comment on it constantly). Two years ago, I can’t remember what he gave me. Last year it was two double walled coffee mugs, a cookbook on waffles, and a small silpat mat that fit in our oven. I never once have used the mugs, although he uses them everyday. The silpat is still in the wrapper. This year, I’ve decided to just give him an Amazon gift list of things I would like that he can choose from. Who knows if this will work? God knows that I told him exactly what I wanted for my birthday (a Fitbit One), but here it is 3+ months after my birthday and I still haven’t received it, or any gift for that matter.
3) We got the girls’ pictures taken for Christmas cards on Saturday. Thank goodness we only have to do this twice a year (Christmas and Easter). Thankfully it was over and done fairly quickly and the pictures look okay.
4) I’m redoing our closet this week in our bedroom. It’s interesting. I fixed the closet about a year after we moved in, hoping it would make it more useable. It really didn’t and the closet has become a black hole. I need to be able to make the closet work for us because I need to get rid of one of the dressers in our bedroom. We need to trade the dresser for the desk that is in the office that is being converted to Allie’s room. Allie will get the dresser placed into her closet. The shoe racks that are currently in our upstairs landing need to move into our closet so that I can make the landing into a reading nook for the girls (it’s a good size landing – maybe 5 feet wide and 10 feet long). That was long and rambling, just to say I’m redoing the closet this week.
5) I found out on Friday that you no longer use two spaces after a period. I’m working on switching my auto-pilot to do one space instead of two. Please forgive the spacing after periods in my posts for a while as I work on making this change permanent in my head.
6) I’m forever grateful for the people I found that suggested Arnica massage oil for Charlie’s growing pains. She gets severe leg cramps, especially after long or stressful days and the oil is wonderful and makes her feel better very quickly (and therefore the whole household feels better).